Technique: Stamping with Bubble Wrap for cool backgrounds.
January 30, 2014
Today I have something a little bit different for you. Some techniques to create some cool grungy backgrounds or stamped effects, with two of the techniques starring humble bubble wrap!
I wanted to create some cool dimension and texture on this grungy card. Lots of layers, some distressed edges, popping some layers up, using different textures to stamp on and with all give a great feel of dimension and texture.
For the circle above, I used Stampin' Up! snail adhesive to adhere a piece of bubble wrap (smoother side adhered, bumpy side facing outwards) to my clear block like this.
I then inked that up into the Crushed Curry ink (yummmm, so in love with this deep yellow) and stamped onto watercolour paper. I was really impressed how well the ink took to the bubble wrap. The circle was then cut out with the 2.5" circle punch.
The second way I used bubble wrap was to create a look of texture on my base card. I used the same colour ink and cardstock (Crushed Curry again) which is a good way to give a subtle effect on the base that doesn't detract from the other card elements. All I did was scrunch up a piece of bubble wrap in my hand like this and used this directly onto the Crushed Curry ink pad.
I randomly stamped it over the base card and love the effect I got.
The other way I created some interesting effects on this card was in the Bermuda Bay panels.
These were spritzed with ink (a few drops of reinker in a mini mister with rubbing alcohol) and sprayed onto White Shimmer cardstock. I then overstamped with a couple of stamps from our Gorgeous Grunge stamp set.
Another product I am using so much lately is the awesome Chevron Border punch. It's fab for scrapbooking, cardmaking and everything in between.
The Chevron DSP is from Modern Medley, and the die cut 'hi' is from the Label Thinlit Card die set. My colours are Crushed Curry, Strawberry Slush, Bermuda Bay and Black and White.
Current Stampin' Up! Offers
- Choose one of 13 free gifts when you spend $90 in my online Stampin' Up! store or by phone/email between today and March 31st.
- Check out all the brand new released products in the 2014 Occasions Catalogue which has just gone live.
- Get $20 extra free products when you join up as a demonstrator (even just for yourself). That's $255 worth of whatever you choose for just $169. You can join online instantly too! Offer valid until March 31st.
- Get $50 extra hostess benefits with a $500 order, group order or party total. Email or call me today to book your party or arrange on online, Facebook party with your friends. Offer valid until March 31st.
- Join a Stampin' Up! by mail hostess club and get 3 free projects from me a month, as well as a minimum of $50 free goodies the month you are hostess. Taking names for the next club starting March. Great for cardmakers or Scrapbookers.
- Join the many ladies who are on my email list to stay up to date with everything Stampin' Up!. It's easy to sign up and I'll never share your details.
Thanks for spending some time on my blog today. I'll see you back here again soon,
Fab use of this technique Claire and what a perfect companion for Gorgeous Grunge & Chevrons...LOVE IT!
Posted by: Nikki Spencer | January 30, 2014 at 03:28 PM
I've used bubble wrap the first way (although without adhering it to an acrylic block…that would have kept some ink off my fingers!). But I absolutely love your scrunched bubble wrap background technique. Works very well with the other elements on your lovely card!
Posted by: Doris | February 02, 2014 at 09:06 AM